Tuesday, April 26, 2011

...as a mule


There is reason to celebrate. There is reason to be happy and joyful and dance. We have worked so hard. We have given up hours and hours of our time to dedicate it all to people that we don't get to dance with, talk with, share meals with, or grow in a friendship with. But that doesn't mean we are not connected. 

I don't know where in my heart the desire to help people started. I don't really care to find the source, but only to continue letting it flow through my bloodstream, down into my hands and feet which lead me to act on what stirs me. It's not just about Invisible Children, or the 25 Event, or all of the amazing programs that are swirling around my life in a very real and credible way. One thing that keeps coming back to me is commitment. Even when I'm not surrounded by people who are on the road for 10 weeks, driving in a giant van with neon lettering, even when I'm not in an office stuffed to max capacity with bustling twenty-somethings with so much dedication, energy and focus - will I stay committed to what I am spending all of my energy on right now? 

One thing I've learned is that the easy side of life is good to feel, but when you don't know the depth to what you work for, the easy well runs dry. Genuine hearts are the people who have fought through their insecurities, misunderstandings, fears and came out alive and stronger. The fight to stay committed is what we all want to write about. We all want to live out the life that speaks louder than any eloquent phrase or perfected lyric. 

That beauty is found in our fight, in our dedication, in our stubbornness to get angry enough to truly care and see through change.




No comments: