Monday, February 15, 2010

sporadic

No apologies to anyone for my lack of regular posting. However, i think its time to be easy on myself and just start writing little blurbs of thought or questions to keep the writing process fresh on my heart.

Read this article in Relevant Magazine about our generation being full of irony, find it here

One section stood out to me:

“We need to remember that if we keep poking holes in our Christian faith, sooner or later, what will we have left?” he says. “We have work to do, and itʼs easy to simply sit back and poke fun at everything, but itʼs more difficult to actually stand up and be an agent for change.”

This quote sticks me at the heart because I know I am guilty of this. I have stepped back in anger and I've bashed the "system". I think I could describe my generation from a quote from Into The Wild:

Christopher McCandless: Society, man! You know, society! Cause, you know what I don't understand? I don't understand why people, why every fucking person is so bad to each other so fucking often. It doesn't make sense to me. Judgment. Control. All that, the whole spectrum.

I think it's so easy for all of us to question what we're living in, but not make the change to do it. McCandless took a step to change his life - I don't think I'll take his route, but at least he took ACTION.

This whole school year has made me think about acting on the desire to see change. Studying MLK Jr, being involved with Invisible Children, listening to speakers like Ed Dobson & Sister Helen Prejean - they've all made me locate my soul, dig through the deep recesses of my heart, and face the difficult task of fighting discomfort. They have shown me - changing your world around you will be the hardest, most difficult, and most amazing thing you'll ever do. So go do it.

Fear does creep in many nights and paralyzes me. But the freedom I find in all of this is that I am not alone. Powerful, very powerful. Listening to Talitha Baker (staff member at Invisible Children) say the following words made me want to cry:

"There are three things I want to tell you about trying to change the world:
1) You will have to work harder than anything you've ever done in your life.
2) You will feel alone at times, but don't fret, call me or e-mail me and I will remind you of all the people who are doing the same thing.
3) You must be fearless."

There are too many people in the world who desire change like I do. World changers are never alone. So here I go...




1 comment:

Email:jray1986@yahoo.com said...

like the "into the wild" quote. love that movie. and the soundtrack with eddie v from pearl jam is killer.