Sunday, July 31, 2011

till the earth


If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle.
Frederick Douglass

I can't get this concept out of my head. I think about my life and where I'm going and I find that the more I am in the process of figuring out and decompressing my experiences, the more I'm seeing different versions of growth. I'm finding myself to have days where I am upset and I am working out problems. Sometimes there are no answers and I just have to live it out. Actually, that's usually how it is in general. It's an ebb and flow that changes every day.

And then there is a time where you can't only think and contemplate your life. You have to go out and plow. Plow plow plow. Get your hands dirty. Wipe the sweat off your brow and continue digging and planting and watering and waiting. Grab the pen and write. Take the brush and start painting. Fail at them both. Hit a wall and have writers block. Scribble circles until another form appears.

I say all of this because I have had my time of talking and opening up and sharing and thinking and now, it's time to simply work.


No comments: