Thursday, October 14, 2010

realizations

The more I'm on the road, the more I realize that there are so many more connections to my past and my present life than I could have imagined. Here is my fun example:  I took an English 1101 class my freshman year of university that changed a lot of my ideas regarding my personal abilities as a student. One day, my professor asked us to write about our dream job - not a real job like doctor, lawyer etc. but one that isn't a job and you could make a job and get paid to do it if you had the choice. I remember sitting there for a while wondering what mine would be. After 10 minutes of pure contemplation, the job popped into my head like a light bulb switching on. I decided that I would love to be a professional meet & greeter. The job would include me having the opportunity to sit at a table every day and meet every person who came and sat there. We'd sit and chat and get to know everyone's story and past in great detail. I'd hear stories from any and every person who wants to share. We'd get to know each other and I'd be able to see a broad spectrum of lifestyles. Some would be painful, others surprising, many inspiring, and then of course some that are tragic - any way you choose it I'd listen to them, hear them, care with them, and pay attention to them. I can't explain why this job would be incredibly awesome to me, but maybe that's why its my personal choice - you can't really explain the heart but you know its what keeps you going. 


Anyways, the other day while in some random town in Washington, I talked with a woman named Sue and she asked me "does this job ever get tired to you? saying the same things over and over may be pretty monotonous after a while..." I can see her point, yes we do have the same presentation every day, yes I have memorized the film, but I am never in control of the outcome. Each person's response is different, every conversation I have is unique. The coolest part is that I get the opportunity to hear a different individual's story every day! They share their life, what they think and what has made them who they are. I started smiling while talking to Sue. My dream job is now here. I am capable of being a professional meet & greeter - and so much more than that! 




"There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go." - Richard Bach



2 comments:

Sandy Shorey said...

I continue to marvel at you, my daughter. Your grace, beauty, and wisdom become more and more evident each day. You're also a talented writer...I love you.

ledgesinme said...

You are such a pure heart. No guile. No pretense. Wonderfully transparent. Like everyone who knows you . . . We love you . . . Mom and Dad